Thursday, May 24, 2012

Freezies to Fair

Freezies ready to go in the freezer


I was putting the groceries away when I had one of those moments - - suddenly transported back in time as I went to put these freezies in the freezer.

When I was a kid, we went to the Brooklin Spring Fair, rain or shine, the first weekend in June, every year.

I liked going on the rides, but I would hover around the Midway all day if I was allowed.

The pressure of picking a prize!

Prizes that you could buy at a store for a dollar would cost you a months worth of hard-earned babysitting wages, but it was all worth it. Roll that ball, race your horse! Pop those balloons, win a prize! Bounce the ping pong ball the right way and ...kerplunk! You have a brand new goldfish you slosh around in a bag the rest of the day.


Check out this awesome photo. I love how the photographer caught that little fish in the corner. Anyone else remember this game?  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcbeth/36242367/

That's what the colours of those freezies reminded me of - - that coloured water in those little goldfish bowls!

Quite possibly my favorite "ride" besides the Tilt-a-whirl. Yep. It's a giant slide.
If you're really lucky, you get to ride down on a potato sack that smells like a barn. 

Okay, if you haven't tried a square ice cream dipped in chocolate and rolled in rice crispies,
you haven't lived. Behind me is the entrance to the tractor pull. Very loud. 

Any sign that doesn't have coloured, flashing lights, does not belong on the Midway


The excitement, the smells, the lights, sounds, colours...carnies. Ahh, there's nothing like a fair! Are you going to any fairs this year?

Last year I spied the Artist Kelly Grace and her hubby, Artist Shaun Downey taking reference photos for some paintings at the Brooklin Fair. I felt like such a stalker, but I just couldn't get the courage up to go over to her. Check out some of her paintings here. So fun! :
http://kellective.com/Painting%20Gallery/streeetscenes/street8.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog, and for leaving some comments of your own!